The neo-Renaissance building was built in 1885 by the well-known architect František Schmoranz. It was at the request of Jiří Larisch-Mönich – the descendant of a famous aristocratic family from Karviná. He was married to Marie Walersee – the niece of kaiserin Elisabeth /more famous as „Sisi“/. Marie Larisch is infamous due to her role in the Mayerling affair. (Mayerling is a hunting lodge near Wien where prince Rudolf, the heir to Austrian-Hungarian throne, committed suicide after having shot his nineteen-year-old mistress Mary Vetsera. The motives behind the murder and the suicide are still unclear today.) Countess Larisch had been the „matchmaker“ of their relationship.
Jiří Larisch Mönich inhabited his mansion till 1897 and then he sold it to the Austrian count Alfons Henckel von Donnersmarck. The family lived there for more than thirty years. Interestingly, one living member of this family is the German movie director Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck (author of the Oscar film The Tourist with Johny Depp and Angelina Jolie).
The next owner of this villa was Ludmila Erhartová-Bidlová, the daughter of Alois Erhart, a wealthy textile merchant.
After this short and rather uneventful period, the building is leased by count Leopold Fugger – very interesting person for Pardubice. He was well known as a sportsman – a racing driver, tennis player, aviator, but he also became famous for his family scandals – many articles were written about his marriage with countess Věra Czerninová. In fact, Leopold Fugger lived alone in five rooms of the mansion where he owed the rent for three years. But the most mysterious thing of this era is Fugger´s escape from Pardubice to Germany in 1930. He had been suspected of collaboration with the Nazis for a long time and for this reason he had been monitored by the Czech police. After his escape, a number of maps of Eastern Bohemia and Western Moravia were found in the villa, as well as maps of Slovakia and many photos of Fugger with Czech army officers or photos of Czech military objects.
During the First World War he worked as specialist of photography and he returned to the profession after his escape from Czechoslovakia.
The town of Pardubice bought the building in 1937. The Riding School Officer Units were housed there till the Nazi occupation.
Nowadays, the building is most associated with the period of World War II. At that time, it became the seat of the German police regiment from Kolín.
The monument next to the villa commemorates 194 Czech citizens, coming mainly from Pardubice and the region, executed at that spot in 1942, during the repression after Heydrich´s assassination. One day of the executions was reserved for the inhabitants of Ležáky, a village chosen for the Nazi revenge – together with the village of Lidice.
The dwellers of this village, including children, had been imprisoned and interrogated in the large cellars of the mansion.
After the war, Pardubice Mansion was shortly the seat of the Officer School and than the object was bought by Tesla, an electro-technical company. The place was used mainly as a warehouse.